a lost piece of our history - fascinating, unforgettable
Point of No Return enjoyed a successful season at;
- the Wyndham Cultural Centre April 2016 and
- the Courthouse Youth Arts, Geelong, May 2016.
Essence Productions are working towards a Victoria wide tour in 2017.
a drama written by Alaine Beek
Engaging historical drama. The harsh but inspiring story of life at the Point Puer boys’ prison near Port Arthur, Tasmania.
This fascinating story is based on real locations and events that occurred at Point Puer, in the early 1800s.
It was the Britain’s first attempt at rehabilitating young prisoners. The play centres around a group of boys transported there from England. They work together in order to survive in the hostile and unfamiliar new world and try to find some hope for a future beyond the horrific life of the prison.
Red, the group leader, uses his wits to protect his gang from the worst, but he battles to keep the group together. Especially when newcomer Jeremiah is introduced. The prisoners are not the only ones struggling to survive - the Guards are also playing their own brutal game.
- 2014 Playhouse Players National One Act Playwrights Awards
- Judge's Choice for Best Written Script
- People's Choice for Best Written Script and
- People's Choice for Best Performed Play.